Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Spoofing Les Miserables



My friend Gil Varod's site Broadway Abridged is filled with great Broadway in-jokes and spoof scripts. When he asked me to do some VOICE ACTING for a podcast of his Les Mis script on Broadway Bullet, I couldn't be more thrilled.

DOWNLOAD THE PODCAST NOW (We're about a third of the way through the entire program.)

I love voice acting, but it's a lot harder than reading lines into a mike. It's even harder than acting to the camera or a theater audience. I'd compare it to acting for silent films, in which emotions and motives would have to translate without dialogue and only body language. Voice acting is the complete reverse, of course, and when listening to a talented voice actor like Terry McGovern or the great June Foray, you can close your eyes and still believe the character is there in that cartoon room, rather than in a recording booth. Hopefully I did Jean Valjean justice, but you be the judge!

1 comment:

Gil said...

Jake is equally hilarious on the Spring Awakening one... to be released any week now...